A GROWING PROBLEM
• Methamphetamine use in Australia has tripled in the past five years.
Australia now has the highest number of meth users per capita in the English speaking world
• Methamphetamine contamination is caused, not only by undetected meth labs, but also smoking of ice/crystal meth inside residential properties.
Australia lags behind the rest of the western world in legislation. In New Zealand property screening has shown contamination in up to 50% of all homes tested.
• Costs to remediate contaminated properties can be enormous – from $10,000 for low level contamination and much more for higher levels.
In worst cases it is cheaper to demolish and rebuild.
PROTECT YOUR HOME & FAMILY
Why Test for Methamphetamine?
Recent media articles have reported how prevalent methamphetamine contaminated houses have become across Australia. Research shows that residual contamination levels from smoking of methamphetamine inside a dwelling can be as high as those from a Meth Lab.
Health Risks of Methamphetamine Contamination
The effects of residual methamphetamine contamination in a property has different effects on individuals, with children and babies at highest risk. Some common side effects can include:
- Psychosis, including: paranoia, hallucinations, repetitive motor activity
- Reproductive problems such as birth defects and miscarriages
- Respiratory problems (such as an asthma-like wheeze)
- Children with inattention or ADHD-like behaviour
- Damage to brain, liver and kidneys
*Baseline Screen – $550 inc. GST
Determine whether your property has been exposed to methamphetamine
- Up to 10 samples taken throughout the property by qualified staff
- Accredited laboratory analysis of samples
- Advisory report on the outcome of the tests
Detailed Screen – price on application
Detailed review on methamphetamine levels throughout the property
- Multiple samples taken throughout the property by qualified staff
- VOC, Air Quality, Moisture and PH testing
- Detailed laboratory analysis of samples
- Detailed advisory report on the outcome of the tests and the level of contamination throughout the property
Asbestos and other hazardous materials – call for pricing
Concerned your property may contain asbestos and other hazardous materials? We are experts in environmental testing and can help you identify and manage these problems.
FAQ Meth Screening
How do I know if my property is contaminated with meth?
There are often no visual signs of the chemical residue of meth inside a property. The only reliable way to test is have accredited professionals collect samples onsite and send them for analysis in a laboratory.
How do I clean up meth contamination?
If your property is contaminated above safe levels, you should engage a professional remediation contractor. Octief can help refer you to someone if you call us on 1800 628 433.
Will Octief remediate my property?
Octief does not conduct property remediation. We are an independent third party who conducts testing only. It is important to maintain a separation of responsibility between remediators and testing companies. Octief can refer you to a professional cleaning company.
Is there really a health risk?
Just because you can’t see the contamination, doesn’t mean that it’s not there (just like electricity). The chemical residues left in your property can induce psychosis, cause cancer and damage brain/liver/kidney function
Why should I pay for a professional laboratory test when I can get a cheap D.I.Y. kit online and just do the test myself?
There are plenty of self-check screen kits available online. These tests work to varying degrees of accuracy – but typically indicate presence or absence only. It’s important to know if the levels detected exceed the guideline levels before undertaking expensive remediation.
CONTACT US FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
1800 628 433
HEAD OFFICE – BRISBANE
Unit 34/53-57 Link Drive
Yatala QLD 4207
Unit 12/16 Charlton Court
Woolner NT 0820
17b Capital Terrace
Queanbeyan NSW 2620
Unit 1/153 Belmont Avenue
Belmont WA 6104